Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What To Do??

I am not sure why I end up in akward situations but sometimes people just need someone to talk to. Yesterday one of my co-workers invited me to his office and then began a normal conversation asking me about my workload and pretty much making small talk. After a few minutes he then began to tell me how difficult it is for him to focus on his job because he recently finished going through a 2 year settlement for his divorce. Based on his facial expression and body language it was apparent that he was still very much in love with his wife but she was not taking any of it. He then began to tell me all of his attempts to save his marriage but again his wife was not going to let him stop her. Now I completely understand that everyone needs to talk through their problems even if you already know the answer.

I am sure everyone has had their friends come up to them when they have a problem but I feel like it is a little different for someone to ask for my advice concerning a divorce when I haven't been married. Although I do feel his pain because he's been married to this woman for 16 years. It is also unusual because knowing my co-workerhe puts his family before anything and he works hard to provide a good life for them. His experience has shaken me up a little on the inside. How do you know, as a couple, if your signifcant other is really the one? Whats the point in getting married if you will end up getting divorced 16 years down the road. First off its one hell of an expensive mistake. Secondly that time wasted from actually finding someone who would be a better match. Yes I am 21 and thinking about these things because I am not the type of guy who looks to the future and likes to have a plan. There are plenty of people who like to live life day by day and all that good stuff. Everyone is different and I respect that.

Someone else told me a similar story that I related to what happened yesterday and maybe everyone needs to slow things down. Relationships these days are far from traditional and are a part of why people are so confused. My relationship did not start off traditionally and it is far from being one. Most of the people I know are the same way but all of us seem to be doing fine. I guess I am just feeling a little mixed up after yesterday. I would go drinking this weekend but I have a race to get preped for, anyway maybe next weekend.

No comments: