Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Crunch Time

Things have been going really well as far as training. I've been very disciplined with spreading my efforts towards the different activities I participate in. Looks like I will be racing mountain bikes again this year. I am a little excited since I am commited to an actual Racing Series as opposed to signing up for random races. For a list of the racing schedule check out the link on the right that has Camp Mor H2H.

My time at the gym has changed a lot. At first I was all about getting the superficial muscles going but now that I have events that evaluate my performance I altered my thinking. I now do a ton of core workouts and I find that this type of workout is much more benficial because the muscles are getting stronger and it saves your body from injury. For the army, having a strong core means your upper body works less in stabilizing your lower body when performing push-ups, sit-ups will be easier because you will be less prone to use your legs (at least at the beginning), and finally when you are running the power in your legs will come from a solid foundation rather then a mushy one. For the half marathon it goes the same as running in the army so I won't hit that again. For mountain biking and cycling in general, a solid core will give your legs more power to push off and will stablize your upper body during climbs. So hopefully I do things right and reap the benefits of all this.

I was at the gym yesterday and I saw a rather unusual sight. There was a older gentlemen who had just finished working on one of the cardio machines and was walking down the stairs to do some resistance training. I looked over at him and saw that he wore grey sweatpants and a yellow button down polo shirt. It looked like he had come from work and then just decided to put on sweatpants and not change his shirt. Now when I bust my ass in the gym I like to have a loose fitting shirt, wicks moisture if possible, and allows my sweat to leave my body. This guy was wearing an undershirt that was soaking with perspiration and was leaving sweat marks under his arms and onto his dress shirt. I guess he was old and sex was no longer a goal and didn't care what other people saw. I'm sure his wife wouldn't even touch him after seeing that. Oh well I guess if we are comfortable who's to say we are wrong. Its pretty funny since I was having a similar conversation with a friend of mine back at school before I left.

No comments: