Sunday, April 27, 2008

Passion: The pursuit of one's inner fire

Yeah I know the title sounds like I am about to write something deep and spiritual but I am not drunk enough to pour out my inner feelings. So just bear with me; maybe you may find some peace by relating my experience with something you are struggling with.

The word passion, to me, has many interpretations. The two biggest things are the passions in your life that motivate you to better yourself and then there is the passion that push you towards bettering your relationships with your other half. So the next thing I ask myself is what is driving me to better myself, what are my passions?

There are four things currently going on that make me the person I am. All of the decisions I make I base around these four things. First there is school, then Army ROTC (HOOAH!!), then there is mountain biking, and finally family and friends. These are not in any particular order because if you know me ROTC can sometimes be last and mountain biking can be put above all else. This past Friday, after work, I went mountain biking. I know its nothing new but for me hitting the trails and riding for hours help me find myself. People are always telling me that I ride too much and that I spend too much time with my bike. Well its my outlet from life. Its were I can get away and figure out how to better myself. So not only is it getting me better physically but emotionally too. Sometimes I want to punch people in the face so I just go for a ride and cool off. If you ever have built up aggression trying climbing a section of technical single track and tell me how you feel afterwards. Well I was in a good mood this Friday and the ride was amazing. Feeling the sweat drip down your back and the heat coming from your legs as you try and get up the climb just put the biggest smile on my face. After getting through all that I went to the bike shop this Saturday to get my ride checked out before my race this weekend. I spent the whole day talking bikes, fixing some flats for people, sharing riding stories with people, and helping newbies figure out why are some bikes so expensive. There is nothing better then all of that. In fact I can't help but smile right now just thinking about all that.

The next thing I want to share is my other half. If you want to talk about ups and downs this where the roller coaster is. This year has been a big struggle for us but we somehow find ourselves back in each other's arms. I may have endurance on the bike and other things but she definitely has the emotional endurance to deal with me. I am a insensitive, selfish, and hard-headed person when it comes to certain things but she somehow has ways get me to realize my mistakes. She is very passive when it comes to other people but she always tells me how it is straight up. So in a way she is also making me a better person and she allows me to better myself.

Finally a new thing I am going to add is my training log for the week to help me keep track of everything.

Monday: (AM) Nothing
(PM) 90 minutes core and PT - APFT Improvement
Tuesday:(AM) 5 mile rum - 1/2 Marathon and APFT Improvement
(PM) Nothing
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Rest
Friday: (AM) 60 minute HIIT - APFT Improvement and Cycling Power Training
(PM) 150 minute Mountain Bike ride - Cycling Endurance Training
Saturday: (AM) 7 mile run - 1/2 Marathon Training and APFT Improvement
(PM) Nothing
Sunday: Rest

No comments: