Thursday, May 1, 2008

Drawing Near

There are only a couple more days until I have my first race. Although a 6.5 mile loop through single track may not seem like a major feat, I am looking at it as a way for me to test the waters in the worldful world of XC mountain bike racing. My girlfriend seems to be very excited for me also and is being very supportive which is amazing and I sometimes tend to neglect. I've also read a library of books over the last few months about training and nutrition that I feel like I may explode with information. I luckily had a great group of people (Drexel Cycling Team) who helped me figure out what was important and where I would benefit the most being the inexperienced rider/racer that I was. The last time I felt this way was during my first road race. I kept thinking about my warm-up and if I was going too hard, did I hydrate enough, and I also thought about certain training rides I wish I didn't skip out on. I am feeling like that right now and hopefully all of the butterflies will leave once I cross the start line so I can focus on having a good race.

I went to the gym last night and again this morning so that I can go for a road ride this afternoon with a co-worker. This guy is pretty much reaping the benefits of his hardwork from years of working as an RF technician. He is old and little out of shape and he wants to go bike riding with me to get out and enjoy the weather. I told him that today would be the perfect time to go for a ride since I am tapering my training. He has an 07 Orbea Orca. This bike is fully carbon with super aero frame tubing and he decked it out with a Dura Ace/Ultegra drivetrain and controls. He also got carbon fiber accessories such as handlebar, stem, seatpost, fork, and all other goodies. He has it pretty set and I am excited to be riding with him. Many people tend to get intimidated by me when I tell them they can run, ride, or even workout with me. I have no idea why because I am not that hardcore or in amazing shape. Sometimes I just like to be with someone else enjoying some outdoor activity. This certainly not true for everyone but most people I do come across.

In other events, tomorrow will be one of my friend's birthday. Happy Birthday to her as she will go off and spend it in the woods while it rains this weekend. I feel really bad for her as she has quite a tolerance for things like this happening to her. Hopefully she keeps her spirits up as she knows that once we get a chance the party will be wild, the alcohol will overflow, and the memories will last a lifetime.

Just a quick recap of this week's training log:
Monday: (AM) Miranda's Strong Man-APFT Improvement
(PM) Nothing
Tuesday: (AM) Nothing
(PM) Spin Class and Core - Cycling and APFT Improvement
Wenesday: (AM) PT and Core - APFT Improvement
(PM) Miranda's Strong Man - APFT Improvement
Thursday: (AM) Light Core - APFT Improvement
(PM) Planned Easy Road Ride - Cycling Improvement

No comments: